Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Braces

I am officially the laziest blogger on the planet. Or more to the point I don't have writer's block, I have a whole box of writer's blocks. Anyway a follow up to a previous post has inspired me to type.

Finally got to the Orthodontist on Monday to hear the bad news. Braces $5400 with a 5% discount if paid up front. An additional $800 for a braces wire that we are assured will shorten the time needed with braces on by about 9 months. 10 months after the braces go on, she will have to have jaw surgery to lengthen her lower jaw. Now all this was pretty much as expected - overall costs were supposed to be about $3k after the health fund money came back.

Imagine my joy when not only did I get this rude woman who kept saying over and over "there's a 12 month waiting list" (we have been in the fund for 15 years so that was meaningless), and that they had discarded their annual limit builds up if not used policy. Then she informed me that the total annual rebate for Orthodontics was only $750.00 per annum. Sigh. The good news is that the Orthodontist will bill us over 4 different financial years, so it will eventually cost $3k, but only after July 2013.

Bottom line is we will borrow $5000 from the in-laws (bless 'em) and pay them back at $200 per fortnight for about a year, which coincidentally is only a little bit more than I am paying for supposed top cover from this health fund...

Whinge over....

1 comment:

  1. A 12-month waiting list? Holy Cow?!?!?!?! I hope this isn't a sign of things to come here in the States with the National Health Care stuff that was passed...

    The things we do for our little ones...

    ~shoes~

    ReplyDelete