Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Slacker

Sorry guys. I've been really slack about this blogging lark. I haven't really decided what I want this blog to be. I've considered history posts, family posts, political posts and humorous (well hopefully) posts, but so far it has all come to naught. I know people don't want to read about me beetling along about my health and the weather so what to do?

Introduce myself perhaps?

I was born here in Adelaide in 1965 at Calvary Hospital (back when they still had nuns for nurses) to an Estonian mother and English father who were both migrants. We moved to Darwin in 1971, to Alice Springs in 72 and back to Darwin again in 1974. For some reason for a short time, I became a bit of a harbinger of doom. In December Darwin was flattened by a cyclone. In 1975 we went on holidays to East Timor which was promptly invaded by Indonesia. I decided I had better not visit Yugoslavia any time soon.

I completed my education in Darwin, but as there were no tertiary institutions in the Northern Territory at that time, had to come to Adelaide to study. After two quite surreal years at the South Australian Institute of Technology, I became a drop-out and my father (who was apparently quite furious with me) told me that I should find a job in Adelaide.

Got a job in 1985 with the same company I work for now which pretty much makes me a relic of a bygone era. Shortly before I got my current job, I was offered and eventually after much soul searching, turned down a job with a security company as a clerk. My reasons for turning it down? They wanted me to guarantee to stay for a year and that seemed such a long time. 25 years on, I laugh at myself an my immaturity.

After 9 years of pretty much drifting along, I met my wife S who caught me rather than the other way round. She moved in and I discovered love (much to my surprise). We bought our first house in 1995 (for a massive $89k) and were married in July of that year. My daughter T came along in 1997, son L in 2000 and in 2001 we moved again. I sweated bullets at the time as it cost $160k which was $40k over what I'd intended to spend on a new house. Again I laugh as it would cost three times that to buy today. They're wheeling me out of this place when I'm on the way to my nursing home.

Anyway enough of my banality for now. Hopefully I'll think of something better to talk about soon.

3 comments:

  1. You don't need to make your blog anything inparticular... I certainly don't!!! My posts ramble on from anything like Utes, to food...to internet and to family. Life isn't meant to be compartmentalised!!

    Wow, you sure moved around to some different places, didn't ya!
    I take it you and your family survived fairly OK in the cyclone? I was only five or something then, but remember Mum and Dad donating stuff for the survivors.

    Wow, $89k sounds pretty good, don't it! Wish there were still places around at that price now. Well...there are, but you have to go live WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY up North to find one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We moved around because the NT was part of SA from the point of view of sourcing teachers, so it was like a country posting. We weren't actually in Darwin at the time of the cyclone, but afterwards the place was like a big adventure playground for a kid of 9. I still have a scar on my knee from tripping over the top of a power pole that had been bent over. And as for the house $89k and only 8km from the city - I was paying less than I had for my crummy flat at Brooklyn Park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no need to categorise your blog!!! jsut write what you are thinkin' about. Love that you want to be wheeled out of your house!!!

    ReplyDelete